Salon Business Advice: 11 Interview Questions to Ask When Hiring
Last week I discussed 7 tips for hiring the best employees at your salon or spa. For a salon business, hiring a great team is the single most important investment, yet many of us may not have taken courses on sourcing talent while studying to be an esthetician. Aside from following the seven tips I shared in last week’s blog, asking the right questions to potential employees is very important when interviewing. Below I share 11 essential questions to ask each candidate.
- What can you tell me about yourself?
- Why did you leave (or why are you leaving) your last job?
- What are your weaknesses?
- What are your goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- Why do you want to work here?
- When were you most satisfied in your job?
- What can you do for us that other candidates cannot?
- What three things would your last (or current) boss say about you?
- What do you look for in a manager?
- Do you have any questions for me?
In asking these questions you’ll be able to grasp the candidate’s personality, and this will help in your evaluation of whether or not you feel he/she is the right fit for your business. Number 11 is especially important – as one is eager to be part of your business should already have questions coming into the interview that he/she would like to ask you, or at the very least have the ability to communicate questions based on your discussions!
What else would you say are essential questions for hiring new staff? Tell me in the comments below!