Exfoliating Body Treatments for Fall and Winter
Going from heavy sweaters, leggings, and boots to holiday party dresses and heels can reveal flaky, dry skin! Just moisturizing won’t make skin glow from head to toe for the holidays, but exfoliating beforehand will. Who doesn’t love a good scrub? Exfoliation, whether through manual manipulation or by using scrubs to loosen dead skin cells, is a form of deep cleansing that is an important step in maintaining glowing skin. Read below as I discuss exfoliating body treatments that can be done at-home and Learn about at-home and professional exfoliating body treatments found in salons and spas.
Dry Brush Treatment
- What it is: This is a vigorous form of manual exfoliation that helps loosen dead skin cells on the body, while feeling stimulating and invigorating.
- How it works: A dry body brush that has a wooden handle and is comprised of all natural boar bristles should be used. This fiber is softer on the skin and it can be cleaned and maintained in between treatments.
- TIP: This spa method can be done both at-home and in the salon, and dry brushing is a great pre-wax treatment to prevent ingrown hairs! I dry brush daily and it helps my skin on looking great!
- When dry brushing, start at the feet and move upwards, toward the heart.
- Stop at your breast area and dry brush arms, again in a soft, gentle circular motion going upwards towards the shoulders.
- To exfoliate the delicate décolletage, neck and face, use a smaller face brush, being sure not to be too aggressive.
- Follow a good dry brushing with a shower or bath to wash away the flakiness.
- Follow with Vita Cura® Nutri Oil or Seaweed Body Cream, and skin will feel super soft and smooth.
Spa Treatment: Repêchage Honey Body Polish
- What it is: A mild exfoliating spa body treatment for all ages based on honey, almond and oatmeal polish that helps remove dead skin cells and hydrates skin.
- How it works: Almond and oatmeal are a particularly effective facial and body exfoliators when combined with natural honey, a humectant that helps bind the ingredients together while keeping skin feeling soft and soothed.
- TIP: This can also be mixed with yogurt, hot milk or almond milk to add a natural, mild lactic (milk-based) acid exfoliation.
Time: 55 minutes
Frequency: Monthly, or as needed
- Place Honey Body Polish in a rubber bowl. Mix an equal amount of buttermilk or yogurt and mix until a smooth consistency. Keep the polish warm by placing the bowl in hot water or hot cabin.
- Prepare the bed with a flat sheet, and plastic or Mylar sheet.
- Ask client to lie on top of the Mylar sheet face down. Begin massaging the client with Honey Body Polish, starting on the back, buttocks, legs and feet. Turn the client over and massage the legs, stomach and chest area. Total massage should last about 20 minutes.
- Cover the client with Mylar sheet, then with a blanket. Leave the client wrapped for 20 minutes.
- While the client is lying down, upgrade the service with Lamina Lift™ Mask.
- After 20 minutes, unwrap the client and ask them to shower off the product. Remove Mylar sheet from bed and replace with fresh towels.
- After shower, proceed with a 15-minute massage using the Vita Cura® Nutri Oil.
Spa Treatment: Repêchage Pomegranate Cran-Apple All Over Body Scrub
- What it is: An exfoliating body treatment for all ages that combines pure cane sugar with pomegranate, cranberry, and apple to create a gentle, natural exfoliating treatment.
- How it works: Sugar cane is an exfoliator that combines AHA exfoliation with granular. Sugar is a natural humectant, meaning it draws moisture from the environment into the skin. It is also a natural source of glycolic acid, an alpha hydroxy acid (AHA). Sugar’s small particles make an excellent topical exfoliant, and are used in a number of body scrubs to exfoliate dead surface skin cells and reveal the glowing, healthy-looking skin underneath.
Time: 55 minutes
Frequency: Monthly, or as needed
- Place scrub in a rubber bowl and keep warm by placing the bowl in hot water.
- Prepare the bed with a flat sheet, Mylar sheet or plastic sheet.
- Ask client to lie on top of the Mylar sheet face down. Begin massaging the client with the scrub, starting on the back, buttocks, legs and feet. Turn the client over and massage the legs, stomach and chest area. Total massage should last about 20 minutes.
- Cover the client with Mylar sheet, then cover with a towel. Leave the client wrapped for 10 minutes.
- While client is lying down, apply Eye Rescue Pads or upgrade the client to a Lamina Lift™ Mask
- After 10 minutes, unwrap the client and ask her to shower off the product. Remove Mylar sheet from bed and replace with fresh towels.
- After shower, proceed with a 15-minute massage using Repêchage Vita Cura® Nutri Oil or Seaweed Body Cream.
Spa Treatment: Repêchage Sea Spa Glow
- What it is: An exfoliating body treatment for drier, coarser skin types, using Dead Sea salts as a key ingredient.
- How it works: This is a more intensive body exfoliation that combines Dead Sea salts and oil, known for their reviving, toning and exfoliating qualities. Seaweed, aloe, and peppermint oil are added to help to stimulate the senses while softening the skin.
- TIP: Delicate areas such as the décolleté and chest should be avoided. Do not perform on anyone who has just shaved.
Time: 55 Minutes
- Ask client to lie face down on bed and begin massaging the entire body with Sea Spa Glow using effleurage and petrissage movements.
- Turn client over and continue massaging salts onto the front of the body focusing on elbows, knees, soles of feet.
- Cover the body with a plastic sheet and let them rest for 10 minutes. During this time apply Lamina Lift™ Mask to the face and administer pressure point massage.
- Escort the client to the shower to rinse off the salts and make sure the skin is clean.
- Request client to return to bed, face down and proceed with an application of the Seaweed Body Cream for 15 minutes or use warm Sea Spa Bath and Body Oil. You can add a few 3-5 drops of Essential Oil of Peppermint for an extra stimulating effect.
- Help the client up and apply warm towel to the neck.
Spa Treatment: Repêchage Exfoliating Hand Treatment
This is an essential treatment for clients 30+ after exposure to extreme weather conditions or before important events to dramatically improve the appearance of the hands.
Time: 30 minutes, 50 minutes with manicure
Frequency: Intensive treatment – weekly, Maintenance – monthly
- Wearing gloves, apply Biolight™ Glyco-Sea™ Glycolic Peel evenly on hands. Leave it on for 5-7 minutes. Remove with water.
- Follow with C-Serum® Seaweed Filtrate and Hydro-Moisture Masque, massaging hands for 10 minutes.
- Apply Repêchage Seaweed Mask and let set for 15-20 minutes. Other treatments, such as Repêchage Lamina Lift™ Mask or Triple Action Peptide Mask, can be performed as an upgrade.
- Remove and finish with Mineral Face Shield®.
Spa Treatment: Repêchage Exfoliating Foot Treatment
Dead Sea Salts are an ideal exfoliator for tough, calloused feet. This is an ideal upgrade to a pedicure, especially late in the fall when we are getting ready to put on sandals again for holiday parties.
Time: 45 minutes
- Sanitize feet with anti-microbial wipes.
- In a foot bath, prepare hot water and 1 oz. of Repêchage Seaweed Bath and add 5 drops of Repêchage Essential Oil of Peppermint for an invigorating foot therapy.
- Remove 1 scoop full of the Repêchage Sea Spa Glow and place in a bowl.
- Massage mixture into the feet and calves in upward movements for approximately 3- 5 minutes.
- Place feet in tub and soak for 5 minutes.
- Remove one foot and dry. Then continue with a regular pedicure.
- Proceed with a massage using Sea Spa Foot Cream for 5-7 minutes.
- Wrap legs and wrap feet with a warm, wet towel.
- Finish with an application of nail polish.
Will you be offering exfoliating body treatments this season? Comment below!