10 Things It Takes to Be Successful in Business
Having been in business for over 40 years, I’ve seen first-hand that success does not come easy. Being successful in business takes hard work, sacrifices, and determination. Here are some tips I have for you that I always abide by, and have helped me get Repêchage to where it is today.
- Work hard; don’t be lazy. The phrase “hard work pays off “comes from somewhere. You can guarantee the most successful business men and women, and leaders of the world, didn’t get to where they are today by taking the easy route.
- Deliver what you say you will. Always be willing to put your money where your mouth is, unless you want to lose the trust of others.
- Be on time. Tardiness shows disrespect for other people’s schedules. I like to say that if you’re not early, you’re late! Being tardy does not make a good first impression, which you only have one chance to do.
- Be passionate about what you do. Passion is what will drive you to the top. If you’re not passionate about what you do, you may want to reevaluate if you are in the right position or industry.
- Follow through. Be diligent. Anyone can verbalize ideas that they have – those who stand out are those who actually go through with their ideas.
- Read, and be informed. Knowledge is power, and one way to acquire knowledge – read. Stay in the loop with what is going on in your industry, or trust me, you will fall behind.
- Ask questions, and be curious. How can you learn if you don’t ask questions? Speak up, and always be eager to know more.
- Be truthful with yourself and others. Once you lose one’s trust, it’s not easy to earn it back. Even if the honest route isn’t necessarily what one wants to hear, it will get you a lot further than lying.
- Give back to your community. I recently was the guest speaker at an event, hosted by two dear friends of mine who are involved with the Humane Society in Naples, FL. Both run a successful hair salon in Naples, but make it a priority to give back to their community – specifically, their furry neighbors!
- Care about what you do every single day. Each day is an opportunity to do something that will better yourself and your business, so care about what you do each day and embrace opportunities that you have.
What tips do you have for being successful in business? Tell me in the comments below!